The following questions (FAQ) have been frequently asked of R. Miller Construction, Inc. (R. Miller Construction). Although all claims differ slightly, the following questions are some of the most common. We understand the industry and we want to help you through the sometimes confusing process.

FAQ General Questions

I have damaged items in my home. What do I do?
R. Miller Construction will inventory all of your affected belongings, pack up, restore and/or clean them. We will then store your personal property either on site in an isolated area or at an off-site climate controlled location and return your contents upon completion of your repaired property.

What do I do with my valuables?
We want you to collect all of your jewelry, important documents, firearms and other valuables. Keep them in your possession
What happens during the repair process?
The project manager assigned to your project will be scheduling the repairs through R. Miller Construction crews and recommended vendors to ensure the highest quality repairs. If additional damage repairs are required, the project manager will submit the estimate (called a supplement) to your insurance adjuster for approval before work begins.
Who makes the fixture and construction material selections?
An R. Miller Construction project manager can meet with you and help you with this process. We have recommended suppliers that will be called upon to help with the necessary selections of construction materials, including: flooring, paint colors, lighting and plumbing fixtures, cabinets and countertops, appliances, window treatments and more.
Am I allowed to upgrade or make other changes to our home or business?
Yes, this is not uncommon at all. We will agree on a price and sign a change order.
Do I get a Certificate of Satisfaction, a warranty and a lien release?
Upon the satisfactory completion of all services, R. Miller Construction will present you with a Certificate of Satisfaction. We will keep a signed copy for our records. Included in this document is our two year written workmanship warranty and lien release.

The Confusion of the Claim Process

I am confused by all the different people who are involved with my claim. Can you explain who they are?
  • The insurance agent, who sold you the policy, is the insurance company’s representative.
  • The insurance adjuster (sometimes referred to as claims adjuster or field adjuster), who is assigned to your claim, will work with us to approve and pay for the repairs based upon your insurance policy coverage limits.
  • The mortgage company may be involved to assist with ensuring your property is repaired back to pre-loss condition.
  • R. Miller Construction, your restoration contractor, has been hired by you and will work with all the different parties to repair your damaged property back to what is referred to in the industry as “a pre-loss condition”. In other words: we will restore your property to the condition that it was in prior to the loss.
Do I have to hire the contractor my insurance company recommends?
No.  The insurance company can recommend you use someone that they have had good results with, however the decision is yours. Make sure:

  1.  That your contractor is experienced, reputable and qualified to make the necessary repairs.
  2.  The scope of work is agreed upon with your insurance company and contractor.
Do I need to get multiple estimates?
No. Your insurance policy typically does not require multiple estimates. By hiring R. Miller Construction, one call does it all. We are fully prepared to handle your entire claim from beginning to completion. This includes: 24 Hour Emergency Services, handling your contents, mold remediation, bio-hazard cleanup, fire odor elimination and complete property reconstruction. That is why we can say: “One call does it all!”
Is this a covered loss?
Coverage depends on your policy’s underwriting.  The best way to find out if your loss is covered is to call your insurance representative to discuss what is covered and the details of coverage under your policy.
How does the claim get paid?
R. Miller Construction will provide a detailed repair estimate to the insurance adjuster who will approve the repair estimate and issue the repair payment to you, less your deductible.
What is my deductible?
Your deductible is the amount you agreed to pay usually $500, or 1000 dollars or more in repairs before your insurance company will begin coverage. The deductible is your responsibility and typically paid prior to work being started, however, sometimes your adjuster will take the deductible out of the contents portion of the loss or may credit you for work that you have completed, (for example, moving contents or securing your property).
I received the insurance payment and the mortgage company’s name has been included. What do I do?
We understand the process and will offer to contact your mortgage company on your behalf and provide them with the necessary claim documentation so they can process the insurance payment. They will process the payments so that the work can progress. We will assist in the mortgage company’s property inspection(s). We are happy to work with you on these oftentimes confusing issues.
What is depreciation?
Depreciation is the decrease in the value of an asset due to usage, passage of time, wear and tear, outdating, and other similar factors. Some insurance policies include depreciation on selected items. Recoverable depreciation is refunded by your insurance company when all of the repairs are completed. Non-recoverable depreciation is not refunded and will have to be paid by you directly to R. Miller Construction.
Why did I receive a “pre-lien” notice?
Depending on the size of the loss, R. Miller Construction and its subcontractors follow the Minnesota state requirements for pre-liening property. A pre-lien notice is not a reflection of your honesty or ours, but is a standard required document for general contractors and sub- contractors to protect their payment rights.

Fire and Smoke Damage

The Fire Department recommended that I get my property boarded up. Is that something that R. Miller Construction can do?
Yes. R. Miller Construction will come out to your property and provide emergency services.  Our response time is a guaranteed – 2 hours or less.  This will ensure security for your property and help prevent further damage.
My property has just suffered a devastating fire. What do I do?
R. Miller Construction is here to help. A fire is a disastrous event that turns people’s lives upside down. We understand what you are going through, and our highly trained IICRCcertified staff is here to help you every step of the way. We will come out to inspect your damages, and ease you into the recovery process. We can work with your insurance company to get repairs started immediately. We can also help you understand the entire process, so you can feel less overwhelmed. No project is either too large or too small. We’re just a phone call away.
My property was damaged by fire and I am concerned about future smoke damage issues. What do I do?
R. Miller Construction uses a multi-step process to ensure your property has been completely decontaminated of all fire and smoke damage. It should be comforting to know we have never had a failure in our revolutionary odor control process. Your property and its contents will be returned to their original state (pre-loss condition), as though the fire never happened.

Water Damage

Can you refer me to a plumber to repair the cause of a problem?
Absolutely. Many times, the cause of water damage comes from a plumbing issue, and we realize you may want someone to assist you with those needs. R. Miller Construction works with licensed and reliable plumbers that we would be happy to refer to you.
My basement has water damage, am I covered?
Your policy will spell out the specifics of your coverage. Most insurance policies require an extra rider to cover water damage that is related to flooding.  Water damage from a broken pipe within the house or business should be covered in a basic policy; however the repair of the source that caused the damage may be not covered.
My property is flooded with water! What should I do?
This is an emergency situation! R. Miller Construction should come out to your property immediately to remove all standing water and begin the drying process. Since it doesn’t take long for harmful mold to form, you need us to come out ASAP. Contact us at 763-571-3514.

Mold Issues

My property has been damaged by water intrusion and I am concerned about mold. What do I do?
R. Miller Construction has IICRC certified drying technicians who will communicate with you on the process and what to expect. Specialized drying equipment will be set up to dry your property using the quickest method possible to help prevent further mold growth.

Odor Elimination

There’s a very potent odor that I can’t seem to get rid of on my own. Can R. Miller Construction help me?
Yes! R. Miller Construction has a revolutionary new process that chemically eliminates 99.99% of ALL mal-odors and smells. This process takes just a few hours, rather than traditional methods that can take days.

Company Profile

Is R. Miller Construction a licensed contractor?
Yes! R. Miller Construction is fully licensed and insured. License #6354
How long has R. Miller Construction been doing business?
R. Miller Construction was incorporated in 1990.
Is R. Miller Construction a member of the Better Business Bureau?
Yes! R. Miller Construction is a member of the Better Business Bureau with an A+ rating.
Who is the owner of R. Miller Construction?
Our owner and President is Ron Miller. Ron is a family man who has been married to Diane for over 30 years. Ron and Diane have two sons, both of whom are employed by R. Miller Construction. Brian is a project manager and Jason is a lead carpenter. Ron has an outstanding reputation in his church, community and the industry. Ron has been in the construction industry since 1975.